Playing collaborative games equalizes the playing field for your child while giving you a perfect, kids-eye-view of life! Next time you have a few minutes, try taking an Over-Under Journey and you might just be amazed where the two of you end up!
- Start by deciding where to go. You may want to go to a real place like the kitchen or you could think of grander, imaginative places like the Dinosaur Forest or the Princess Castle! (Wherever you decide to go, pick a physical location 10-15 feet away as your target for a game of 5-6 turns.) Let your child decide the destination and then follow her imaginative lead.
- Next, decide who is “Over” and who is “Under.” Again, let your child decide.
- Now get going on your Over-Under Journey. USING ONLY YOUR BODIES, each player takes one step at a time. The “Over” player must travel each step of the journey by going over the other player. Likewise, the “Under” player must go under the other player.
Here’s a few ideas to get you started. Note: These ideas are written for parents to play with a child, but can easily be adjusted for two or more children to play as well. But be sure to let your children make up their own over/under obstacles as much as possible.
- Go OVER THE HILL (stand tall and let your child climb all the way up you!)
- Go UNDER THE BRIDGE (form a bridge with your body or legs and let your child climb under)
- Go OVER THE TICKLE TIGER (lie down on your back and have your child climb over your tummy — tickling as she goes!)
- GO UNDER GATE (lie on the floor and raise one leg in the air up and down. Have your child scoot through the gate.)
- Go OVER THE TEA POT (sit on the floor and form the shape of a tea pot. As your child climbs over you, whistle like a tea pot!
- Go UNDER THE PUDDLE (lie down on the floor tummy-side down. Have your child “swim” underneath you)
- GO OVER THE WORM (wiggle like a worm on the floor and have your child climb over you from head to toe)
- GO UNDER THE TUNNEL. (sit on the floor with your knees up and have your child climb through)
Activity by Moving Smart ( http://movingsmart.biz )Tags: Gameplay Moving Smart